Phoenix Metropolitan Area – It includes several cities that are right next door to each other and extend over 80 miles from east to west and 40 miles from north to south. When we talk about Phoenix Arizona real estate and The Valley of the Sun, the area includes Carefree, Cave Creek, Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa, Paradise Valley, Peoria, Scottsdale, Sun City, Surprise, Tempe and more all within Maricopa County.
Phoenix Metropolitan Area
- Arizona: Nation’s second fastest growing state
- Phoenix: 1,593,659 as of 2009 – 5th largest city in the U.S.
- Phoenix Metro Area (the Valley of the Sun) – the 12th largest metro area by population in the U.S. with more than 4.7 million people, est. 2010.
- Average Age – 31.7 years old in 2006.
Average New Home Price – $280,900 in 2010.
Average Resale Home Price – $127,896 in 2010.
Average Two-Bedroom Apartment – $980 in 2010.
For current market conditions, please visit our monthly Market Insider section.
Average Rainfall – less than 8 inches
Average Sunny Days in the Valley are more than 300 per year.
Average Drive to Work Time – 22 minutes.
Average Daily Temperature in July is 102 degrees.
Average Electric Bill per APS statistics (assumes a 2,500 square foot house with a family of 4 and a pool) is $180 to $200 per month in summer, $85 to $105 in winter
Below is a chart showing climate data collected from Sky Harbor Airport. Note that due to the vast area covered by the MSA, climates differ throughout the valley. From Phoenix to North Phoenix the temperature can be as much as 10 degrees less as the elevation increases.
More Phoenix Arizona Facts
- Grand Canyon
- Arizona – The Grand Canyon State
- The Phoenix Arizona real estate Metropolitan Area covers almost 1,000 square miles.
- There is more than 180 area golf courses, private and public.
- Arizona has 67 man-made and natural lakes and more boating per capita than any other state.
- There is only one natural lake in the whole state.
- Arizona National Trails
- The Valley of the Sun is home to 23 Indian Reservations that represent 21 Native American Tribes.
- Cross Country and Downhill skiing only 2 hours away.
- Phoenix Arizona real estate is the 6th fastest growing area in the country.
- The Valley of the Sun ranks 5th in the availability and quality of arts and culture in the country offering more than 30 museums and 160 art galleries, The Phoenix Symphony, Arizona Opera Company, The Herberger Theater and the newly renovated Orpheum Theater.
- The Desert Botanical Garden has the largest variety of desert plants and cacti collection in the world.
Fifteen Major League Baseball Teams have Spring Training in the Phoenix Metropolitan area.
There are now fifteen major league teams playing Arizona spring training baseball at ten diverse stadiums in eight different Arizona cities and one Native American community.
The big news for Arizona spring training 2011 was the addition of a new ballpark to the Cactus League’s Phoenix-area baseball spring training locations.
Phoenix is home to several professional sports teams:
Arizona Cardinals (NFL)
Arizona Diamondbacks (MLB)
Arizona Rattlers (Arena Football)
Phoenix Coyotes (NHL)
Phoenix Mercury (WNBA)
Phoenix Suns (NBA)
If you need additional information about the area just call or email us. Ask us about our relocation guide that we have available for our customers.