We hear of people all the time who rent a storage unit and half way into filling the unit they realize the unit is either too big or too small. When packing the storage unit, think of it like a game of Tetris. Every item should have its own spot while also leaving space for other items and room for you to move inside the unit. A convenient storage sizes calculator will aid you in your search for the perfect storage unit and below are some helpful hints on how to pack your unit properly.
Use boxes which are the same size so they can fit perfectly on top of one another or side by side.
- Don’t over pack boxes. Putting your collection of books in 1 box while another box holds 4 pillows is a great way to destroy your back, the boxes and your day. Stacking heavy boxes on light boxes will crush your belongings. Remember, you may want to pack everything you own in to the minimal number of boxes but you do have to move and lift the boxes.
- If possible, do not place cardboard boxes directly on the floor of the unit in case of any moisture getting into the storage unit.
- Disassemble bed frames, tables and dresser drawers to make more space for storing. This will also allow you to move your things easier in the future.
- Keep items you will need at the front of the storage unit so you don’t have to dig to the back and move everything out again.
- Smaller furniture and boxes can be stacked on top nearly to the ceiling.
- Utilize all of the space in the storage unit. If you have enough room, make a small path from the front of the storage unit to the back in order to easily move and get to items when you need them.
- Bonus Tip: A ladder can be a useful tool if you are storing items from floor to ceiling.
These self storage packing tips should give you a good head start on how to pack your belongings properly. Remember, SelfStorageFinders.com lists thousands of self storage facilities around the country if you are in need. Give it a shot and rent from your couch in a few simple steps!