When you love shopping and have limited closet space in your home, you have to be careful of how much you buy. If closet space is limited, it must be organized to make the best use of it. The task of un-cluttering a closet to make it organized can sometimes be overwhelming and emotional because it may require you to get rid of items that you are so attached to, yet are no longer of any use.
Clothes come in different colors, sleeve length, hemlines and so on, so it’s no wonder that you may need some extra help on how to get your wardrobe organized and stored properly. Not only that, you have purses, shoes and jewelry to store, so where do you start? Here’s a list of helpful ways on how to organize your limited space closet.
- Edit Your Wardrobe and Clear it out. Distinguish which clothing, shoes and jewelry you wear and the items that you need to discard. Do you have an outfit that you really like, yet wore only once or it doesn’t fit you well anymore? Toss it or donate it to a charity, as it’s time for the outfit to go. There is a simple rule here, if you have a limited space for clothing, then you should keep less clothing.
- Arrange Folded Items. When organizing the folded clothing you’ll store on shelves, place heavier items at the bottom of the pile, and lighter ones at the top. Arrange garments by function and color. If your closet doesn’t have shelves, consider using part of your clothing rod for hanging canvas shelf organizers.
- Get Hung Up. Before getting into this task, one important thing to consider is choosing the right hanger. Your closet will look neater and organized if you use coordinated hangers – just one type and color of the hanger.
- System for your Shoe Collection – Shoes and boots contribute to small closet disorganization just as much if not more so than clothes. Keep your shoes in a shoebox properly labeled or if not, invest in a clear shoe box with drawer-front pulls. Not only it will allow you to see what’s inside, you can also easily access your shoes.
- Storage Space on the Closet Door. Make use of the closet door for the things that you grab and use most often. The closet door shoe rack is the best option here, but these small compartments aren’t for shoes only as they can be re-purposed and can be a functional way to store all sorts of accessories like belts, gloves, jewelries, scarf, etc.
Organizing your closet is not a one-time effort. A yearly scheduled organizing maintenance effort is needed to keep the clutter at bay. Moving to a new home with a limited space, learn how you can maximize your space in your new home.